For your safety and comfort please follow these instructions:
1. DO NOT eat or drink anything after midnight on the day before surgery. The only exception is: If you are taking medication for high blood pressure, heart problems, seizures, respiratory or psychotic problems, please take your morning dose with a small amount of water. If you are diabetic, do not take any oral diabetic meds and if you are Insulin controlled, do not take any Regular or 70/30 Insulin. If you are on a long acting Insulin, take ½ of your morning dose and notify your admissions nurse that you have done so.
2. If you are scheduled at Sarasota Memorial or Doctors Hospital, you will need to arrive 2 hours prior to surgery. If you are scheduled at an outpatient facility, you will need to arrive 1 hour prior to your surgery. You will receive a call from our surgery scheduler or nurse to confirm the estimated time, as it is subject to change.
3. Leave jewelry and all other valuables at home. Bring a case for your glasses and hearing aids. Do not wear contact lenses or make-up.
4. Wear comfortable clothing. If you are being admitted after surgery, bring a robe, slippers and toiletries in a small bag. If possible, leave them in the car to be brought to your room by family/friends after surgery.
5. If you were given a Medication Profile Sheet, bring it with you. On it, please list all prescribed, over-the-counter and herbal medications. Also bring any prescribed inhalers or nitroglycerine pills if you use them.
Approximately 30 minutes before surgery, you will be taken to the pre-operative room where you will meet your anesthesiologist. Once again, confirmation of your identity, your understanding of the surgical procedure and the correct surgical site are reviewed.
Arrange for a responsible adult to drive you to and from the hospital. You will not be permitted to drive yourself after surgery.
If you become ill or must reschedule your surgery for any reason, notify your physician immediately .
If you have any questions or concerns please contact us immediately at (941) 921-2600